You know how we always tend to first take care of things around the house that we can see? Like scuffed walls that need to be painted? A downspout that’s come loose from the gutter? Or a shrubbery bed overrun with weeds?
By that standard, it’s really too bad that air, for the most part, is invisible. Because if you could see even just some of the stuff that you’re breathing in, day in and day out, you’d do something about it in a hurry.
But see it or not, that “stuff” is there nonetheless. In fact, it’s estimated that across the US, indoor air is twice as polluted as the air outdoors. What can you do about it? Actually, all kinds of things and here is just a small sampling:
- Don’t smoke indoors. Tobacco smoke contains thousands of indoor pollutants and, because smoke rises, it can land in your ducts and then get blown back into your home each time the furnace or AC fan is on.
- Cut down on the use of harsh, chemically laden cleaning products are any that have strong fragrances. Better yet, stop using them all together and shop instead for “low-emitting” products. Or, you can make your own out of such everyday household ingredients like vinegar and baking soda.
- Buy machine washable bedding and wash your comforters, sheets, and all the rest often to kill and cut back on the accumulation of dust and dust mites.
- Replace your vacuum cleaner with one that contains HEPA filter to trap dust and dirt and instead of spewing at least some of it all around your home.
- Have everyone, friends and neighbors including, take off their shoes as soon as entering your home. Shoe bottoms are the unwitting transporters of all kinds of pollutants into your home, including dust, dirt, pollen, pesticides, and more.
- Treat yourself to some new house plants, especially those known for their propensity to kill airborne bacteria and other pollutants. Plants like Boston Ferns, Chinese Evergreens, Crotons, and Arrowhead Vines are ideally suited to the task.
For a more global solution, contact Absolute Air today and ask about a whole-house air purifier: the kind that can and does trap 99.7% of airborne pollutants attempting to pass through the system’s filter. They’re easy to install, easy to maintain, and work wonders in helping every member of your family breathe a whole lot easier indoors.