If you’re allergic to dust and dust mites, you’re not alone.
Today, in fact, one in twenty million Americans suffer to some degree from dust-induced coughing, sneezing, itchy eyes, and a stuffy nose. Severe reactions to dust can even lead to asthma.
One of the most effective ways to gain relief and help prevent dust allergies is with a whole-house air filter.
At Absolute Air, one of our indoor air quality specialists can install an air filtration system inside your ductwork. That way, it works in tandem with your heating and cooling systems to clean the air throughout your home, and not just in isolated spaces. Equipped with a HEPA filter, the system will trap and contain more than 99% of airborne pollutants that otherwise would pass through your air ducts untouched on their way to your living spaces and, eventually, into your air passages.
While it’s at work, your whole-house air purifier can rid your indoor air of much more than dust and dust mites. Here’s what else it will trap:
- Pet dander
- Smoking by-products
- Cleaning by-products
- Formaldehyde from new carpeting
- And more
Unlike the filter located inside your furnace or AC system which requires frequent cleaning or replacing, the filter inside your whole-house air purifier needs to be cleaned only once every six months.
Still, as effective as an air filtration system can be, there’s more you can do to protect yourself from dust and dust allergies, including the following:
- Use a vacuum cleaner with its own HEPA filter; other models blow as much dust around as they catch
- Dust your air vents and registers routinely
- Have your ducts thoroughly cleaned at least every 4 years
- Replace your pillows with those made from polyester fibers
- Cover your mattress and box-spring with airtight plastic covers
- Wash your throw rugs in hot water
- Replace your drapes with washable shades or slatted blinds
- Use a de-humidifier (whole-house or room size) to remove moisture from the air
For more information about a whole-house air filtration system from Absolute Air – or, to schedule an in-home air quality consultation and new system proposal – contact us today.