Well, since most people choose the latter, we’ll go with the majority. As in, the bad news is that September is National Self-Improvement month. How can that possibly be bad news, you might ask? Well, if self-improvement came all that naturally, would we really need an entire month to be reminded of both the need and opportunity?
And now for the good news: September is National Self-Improvement month. As in, seeing how most of us DO need a little reminding from time to time, maybe this is the month you take a step in the right direction toward new or existing goals.
Here are 5 popular and realistic ways to feel better about just being you:
- Make a date or an appointment. If “apathy” or “procrastination” are your middle name, find one thing that you’ve been putting off way too long and just get it done. It done right now. It could be as simple as changing the oil in your car or finishing the book that’s been on your nightstand since who knows when. Or maybe it’s time you set your reservations aside and finally scheduled that colonoscopy or breast exam.
- Start that diet. You can’t surf very far on your TV screen without bumping into some program concerning America’s bulging waistline. If you’re carrying a few extra pounds, isn’t it better to pick a diet (with your doctor’s advice and consent, of course) and just go for it instead of waiting for that miracle cure or pill that won’t be coming along anyway?
- Get up and move. Nothing builds self-esteem like exercise or movement, and it doesn’t have to be painful to be effective. Go for a walk, dance in your living room, have a catch with your son. But do something to get the ol’ heart and your blood circulating.
- Demand better of yourself. Do you have a tough time saying you’re sorry? Well, it’s never too late to start. Have you reached a point in your job or career where you feel like there’s no point in trying any harder? Even if you’re maxed out salary wise, expanding your skills or knowledge is an achievement unto itself and one that can be applied elsewhere if your present employer doesn’t fully appreciate what you bring to the table.
- Pick up the phone. Nothing makes some people happier than hearing from family and friends. So if you’re the kind of person who only talks on the phone when they call you, now’s a great time to let a distant family member or fellow grad know you’re thinking about them. The kind of warm reception you’re likely to get could turn this into a very rewarding habit.
If one of those things you’ve been putting off is annual preventative maintenance for your home heating system, then just pick up the phone and call Absolute Air. We’ll get it done in no time so you and your family can look forward to feeling better, indoors, all winter long.