What if someone were to offer you an opportunity to sit indoors and inhale a steady diet of such airborne particles as smoke byproducts, formaldehyde, mold and mildew, radon, pesticides, dust and dust mites, glues and adhesives, carbon monoxide, and a host of other well-known and common indoor air pollutants?
Chances are you’d advise that person to schedule a check-up from the neck up. But not so fast. Because what that hypothetical person is suggesting in our little experiment here is something you’re probably doing anyway, and without realizing it.
The fact is that across this great nation of ours, indoor air (on average) is twice as polluted as outdoor air, and up to 100 times more polluted. As such, indoor air pollution is both a leading cause and aggravator of certain types of allergies, asthma, and other upper respiratory ailments. What’s a concerned home owner to do? Well, you can continue to sit around and take, or you can take matters into your own hands to kick those stinkin’ pollutants out on their ears.
Here are a few simply and practical ways how:
- Wash your bed covers once a week, along with sheets and pillow cases, to keep your dust population to a bare minimum.
- If you’re prone to dust allergies, purchase plastic covers for your mattress and box spring. Dust and dust mites just love the warm, nurturing atmosphere of unprotected bedding.
- Not quite the “green thumb” type? You’d be amazed at how easy it is to learn, especially once you realize that certain types of house plants permanently remove bacteria and viruses from the air. This impressive list of natural air cleaners includes: Aloe, Spider plants, Gerber daisies, Weeping Fig, and many others.
- Leave your shoes – along with all the bad stuff on their soles – at the door. That will prevent you from traipsing dirt and pollutants like pesticides and pollen all over your house.
- Swap out your vacuum cleaner for one with a HEPA filter that traps dust, dirt, and other particles vs. releasing them back into the air.
- Don’t let anyone smoke inside your house – PERIOD!
- Start using green cleaning products made from all-natural ingredients.
For more far-reaching results, contact Absolute Air and ask about our indoor air quality solutions, starting with a whole-house air purifier that removes more than 99% of airborne particles during AC or heating system operation. We can install one inside your ductwork where the system’s filter will trip the particles before they can ever make their way into your living spaces.
Why not make today the day you declare: “No more poor indoor air quality for me!”